There’s a lot of information available about solar panels helping you to save money on electricity bills by generating your own power. However, many people harbour common misconceptions about the effectiveness of solar in the UK, with our long dark winter months. The assumption is that colder weather means less effectiveness and no benefit.
We want to dispel the myths and misinformation that exists and may have stopped you from investigating solar as a choice for your home. Here are a few points to consider:
- Solar panels can save you money year-round, not just in the summer months.
- Only some daylight is needed to harness the sun’s energy, and solar panels operate effectively through all seasons in the UK.
- It might seem natural to assume that warmer temperatures will produce a more efficient system. However, this is not the case. Colder weather can help your solar panels to function more effectively – so your panels can produce more power per hour of sunshine in the winter than the summer. Energy output can be optimal in colder weather.
- Light is needed for solar panels to function, not heat. So, if some sunlight is hitting the panels, they will produce energy for you. Direct sunlight is obviously desirable but even on days of diffused light, power is being generated.
- Are Rainy days a problem? No rain can help wash dust and dirt from the surface of the panels making them more efficient.
- Solar panels can even generate energy with snow on them, as the light still gets through.
- As much as one-fifth of your energy can be produced in winter months.
We hope this has reassured you about the effectiveness of solar in our climate. So, if you want to start saving money, and help reduce your carbon footprint, then you should consider whether solar is the right choice for you.
At Precision Green Energy we help you make the best green home decision for your situation. We give you simple information with no confusing jargon. We have installed solar panels in many homes across Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds.
Why not see if you can protect yourself against the rising cost of energy – find out how much you could save, year-round, with a solar solution tailored for you.